Ever since the dawn of the silver screen, film and books have been inextricably linked. Early, grainy film adaptations of horror classics like Dracula and Frankenstein, paved the way for blockbuster Hollywood classics also based on novels: The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, and Mary Poppins, to name a few.
Now, the 2016 Academy Awards are approaching (you can catch them live, Sunday, February 28th, at 7pm) and few things have changed. Five of this year’s eight best picture nominees are based on books! Take a look at this list and consider reading up if you’ve missed a few of the novels these films were adapted from.
2016 Best Picture Academy Award Nominees
- The Martian, based on the 2014 novel The Martian by Andy Weir
- The Big Short, based on the 2010 book, The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis
- Carol, based on the 1952 novel Carol by Patricia Highsmith
- Brooklyn, based on the 2009 novel Brooklyn by Colm Toibin
- Room, based on 2010 novel Room by Emma Donoghue
It would be fun to read the novels past nominees and winners were based on, too. I’d love to build that list for you, but I think you’ve got some novels to watch and some films to read– Or maybe the other way around. 😉